Thursday, October 1, 2009

What has your heart??

My friend and interim singles minister at Tallowood, Michelle, sent me and the other members of the singles minister this question last night. The strange thing was I had been thinking about this very questions that whole day.

What has my heart? Where is my heart guiding me? What makes my heart feel full and happy?


Over the past two weeks I have become involved in two job ministries in the Houston area. One is called Between Job Ministries (BJM) and is a network to help us find jobs and support while people are between jobs. The other is JET ministry. The JET ministry does have one support group that starts tomorrow, but I am using them for resume services and well just job counseling. This brings me to my question What has my heart?

In the last two months I have been applying to any and every job I even have the smallest qualifications for. It is only now that I am realizing that just any job will not lead to happiness in my life. I want to help others. My passion is counseling people through different parts of their lives. In order to be truly happy I know that I must be in a position where I am helping others. My heart is with people who are down on their luck, abused, trying to find themselves, and just people who need someone to listen.

Yesterday I had two meetings that helped me figure this out. One was a counseling session at BJM with Gail, an encourager. Gail and I talked over what was going on and where I could be happy with a job. We talked about teaching, ministry, counseling, and social work. He gave me a few numbers to call and try to make contacts. The second meeting was last night with Karl, from JET. Karl is helping me revamp my resume into a functional/chronological resume. The ones I have now is just chronological and kind of boring. It does not high light my gifts and talents. Karl and I spent two hours talking over where I want and need to go from here. Where is my heart at? was the big question of the night. Now I have figured out that my hear is in counseling people. This for me could be as a hospital chaplain, pastoral councilor, teacher, councilor, advocate at a non-profit, or a social worker.

Now I just have to convince someone that I do have the gifts I have and trust in God that person will give me a job or pass me on to someone who will.

No comments: