Saturday, October 3, 2009

Bluegrass in Autumn

Blue Ridge Mountains in North Carolina


As person who has always loved the seasons, all four of them, I have begun to realize how much I loved Autumn. I grew up for most of my life in the North East either in Danvers, MA or Horseheads, NY. These are two place where Autumn is huge. The trees become these majestic colors, the wind blows cooler, and you start feeling like the harvest is all around you. Everyone starts to pull out their winter clothing and you start to see people with long sleve shirts, sweetters, and coats. You may even get to see a little snow starting in October.

My family then moved to Apex, NC when I was 13. I still got some of the parts of Autumn I loved: trees changing colors, seeing people dressed more warmly, and the wind did blow a little cooler (just not a cool as in the North East). The harvest part was not really there though. Even in a small town and going to a church that had a harvest festival it was not the same. No one was supprized when I decided to go to the NC mountians for college. The colors on the trees were vibrent and majestic like those of the North East, the tempture and winds were cooler, people really did bring out their winter cloths, and the harvest was very special in Mars Hill. Western NC had come very special tradations of harvest festivals, hymn singings, and bluegrass festivals in Autimn. I came to love bluegrass while I was there. It reminded me that Fall really had come. The the leaves would change, the days would grow shorter and cooler, and that soon I would be celebrating Thanksgiving and the birth of Jesus Christ with my family and friends.

After college I made sure to make a trip to the mountains of NC or GA while I was at Candler. I made sure to do things that reminded me of the beauty of Autumn, like going to see Nickle Creek with Steven and Stacy. This year is different though. I have no colorful mountains to go to, the weather is still in the mid to high 80's, people are wearing summer cloths still, and it does not feel like harvest. So last night I pulled up bluegrass music, Allison Krause and Nickle Creek, and spent time just listening to what feels like Autumn to me. I just hope that through this Texas Autumn I will find ways to remember what comes next and what has always been the most important to me; Giving thanks with my friends and family and in a few months celebrating the birth of my lord and savior, Jesus Christ.

No comments: