Monday, May 31, 2010

Christmas In May

My family has been involved for many years with Bernese Mountain Dogs and clubs that support them. We even helped form a club here in North Carolina. The Blue Ridge Bernese Mountain Dog Club has come a far way in the years since it started. However, we still have many traditions like Christmas in May.
This weekend my mom and I took off for Christmas in May picnic. We of course took one of our Bernese Mountain Dogs, Morgen, and my little Pomeranian, Rocky A.K.A. the Berner want to be. We took two White Elephant presents for the gift exchange and I found a huge stuffed Bernese Mountain Dog at Target for the raffle. I had not been able to go to one of our Berner days in a long time so it was interesting to meet the new people and reconnect with the ones I already knew. Morgen of course was her normal sweet as can be self, while Rocky finally realized he was not top dog. We had a good time having fun with the dogs and playing games. We ate good food, I brought a chocolate cheesecake. We came away from the raffle with a Duke dog leash, an "I love my Bernese Mountain Dog" car magnet, and homemade dog treats. From the White elephant exchange we came home with a $15 gift card to Pet Smart and a real looking chipmunk toy.
The highlight of the day for me though was the meeting. I knew how boring am I. The Bernese Mountain Dog Club of America (BMDCA) has finally recognized our little club and we are real! Secondly BMDCA has asked all regional clubs to have a person in charge of getting medical information about research foundations that are working to help Bernese Mountain Dogs and all breeds. This include Histo, which is a form of cancer my family has lost 3 dogs to. The exciting part for me was being elected as the regional person in charge of the medical research. I now get to help other people and dogs in a new and different way.

No comments: