Friday, May 14, 2010

Baptist, Methodist, UCC

As I am now staying at home and not having to worry about too many bills, rent, or food I can spend time figuring out my life. This for me means taking the next year off from ministry and finding a denomination that will support me in ministry. As I am back in North Carolina I am finding this a little harder. First off I am not Texas Baptist anymore and will not be licensed at the end of this summer. Second I am living in a house with my Grandfather, who is die hard Methodist. Third I have no clue what I am doing, I just know I am called.

So my first step was to meet with the soon to be ordained Rev. Owen Barrow. He is a good friend of mine who is associated pastor at my families church. We sat down and talked about everything that happened in Texas. My finally decision that if I am to stay Methodist I am going deacon track. Then how staying Methodist is probably not the best idea. I do not have the best file and it is going to be difficult if not impossible to ever be ordained because of my file. Yes I have been shown my file and it is not good. So the next thing out of Owen's mouth was "how do you feel about Congregationalist Baptists?" I kind of looked at him stupid and said I was sure no Baptists in North Carolina ordained women. Well they do! I explained to Owen that I did not agree with the theology totally. Then we went through the other big denominations and I said I have been thinking about UCC. This shocked Owen as he did not know I was as lgbtq friendly as I am.

Now over the past two days I have been doing research on the UCC congregations in my area. Sadly most of them are not involved in the "God Still Speak" campaign and are not open congregations. The closest one that I liked from the web page is in Chapel Hill, a 30-40 min drive. Then today I was on facebook and saw a post by Bridget about becoming a fan of The Association of Welcoming and Affirming Baptists . I asked her about it and got information and found a cool liturgical congregation just one town away. I also then checked out the Congregationalist Baptists and decided on checking out two different congregations right here by me.

Now here is the questions Baptist, Methodist, or UCC?

No comments: