Sunday, December 27, 2009

The New Light of Christmas

This year Christmas was a very strange time for me. I usually have a list of things to tell family and friends what I want when they ask me. This year I just could not bring myself to tell anyone my list before Christmas. It contains two things 1) Getting a full time job 2) Being with my family for Christmas. Well needless to say I got gift number one the week before Christmas! I started work the Monday before Christmas for MRC (Medical Research Consultants). I am a full time temp for one month and then they are hiring me full time. It is very different from what I thought I would be doing, but I like the work. Now as for gift number 2. I was not able to go back to NC for Christmas. However, I did spend the evening with two of my friends, talked with my parents, brother, grandfather, and my cousin Annette. It ended up being a wonderful Christmas.

Christmas Eve was very strange and hard for me though. I thought about not going to church because I knew it would be full of families, people would look at me strange and I would more than likely cry. Well two of those were true. It was full of families and I did cry, but no one looked at me strange. At first I was sitting in a pew all by myself and think about my family, yes this caused crying. The next thing I knew this huge and I mean huge family piled into the pew with me. The oldest teenage son sat next to me. At first I could tell he was uncomfortable sitting next to a young woman who was tearing up a little, but turned and said Merry Christmas. I smiled and said it back. It was at this point that I looked down the row at the family and realized that I kind of fit in. It was funny. They were all either brown or blond hair and I kind of looked his mom. The kid and I both laughed a little as I think we realized this at the same time. Then I began to think as a the service started that I was with family. I was with all my church family, people who share my faith and love of Christ because who else would show up at 11pm for a church service. As the service ended I looked and the teenager and smiled this big smile. He smiled back and said goodnight. It was wonderful.

1 comment:

Sarah @ Preaching In Pumps said...

I definitely don't think that putting time into YOU is selfish. If you don't nurture yourself, you can't nurture others.