Thursday, December 17, 2009

What a Year!

Life never happens as we plan it. Just a year ago I was posting about my interview in Texas and getting what I thought was a job that was going to lead me to my dreams. A year has past and a lot has happened. I am no longer at that job. My dreams while they still play on my heartstrings are changing as am I.

A year ago I was taking my last exam of Seminary. Telling everyone good bye and making plans with my family for a long journey that would bring me to Texas. I left behind my family, my friends and my dog (Lynn). I set out for my journey to begin in Texas.

Where is my journey now? Well parts of it have ended and new parts begun. I am no longer officially in ministry as a career, yet I minister every day. I minister to my roommate, my friends, fellow e&a members, my co-workers, my church singles group and just people I run into and smile at. When people ask me what my old job was I get odd looks now. Many people cannot believe that a person that can hang out and be cool would ever be a minister. When people give me odd looks I just smile and say they may want to check out church again sometime. I have a new job at MRC (medical research consultants). I plan to keep my spirit going there. I am also hoping to teach in middle school sometime in the near future. I have a great new set of friends who have become my family here in Texas. I think the biggest change though it that I love Texas!

My calling and my dream of being a minister are still there. I just have come to the realization that right now is not the right time for me. There is still a lot for me to learn and I need to grow spiritually some more. What that means for me right now is forgiveness, acceptance, and learning to trust again. My plan for that is continue to go to church at Tallowood. I trust that someday when God lets me know I am ready I will have their support to go into hospital chaplaincy. Until then I will continue to minister in my own way everyday.

No comments: