Friday, May 29, 2009

Mental Health Days

During my time at Candler I came up with the idea that one day a semester I would allow myself to take off a day from class. This for me came because I was stress, tired, and just worn out. On these days I let myself sleep in and always did something just for me. Since I was not of those people who got divinity school paid for by scholarship or funds from the church this usually meant watching a movie I owned and taking a bubble bath.

Now that I am in my ministry position I have found that the stress is not all gone. I sometimes and just plain worn out and tired. Yesterday I went to work on my day off because I have been at annual conference all week. I ended up leaving less than four hours after I got to work because I just could not take it anymore. I got a bad look and lecture about something that I thought I was doing right. Haha I guess not. Needless to say phone calls were made while I was at conference about me to one of the other staff and she feels it is her job to not tell them to call me and talk about it, but instead to verbal attack me when I get back from conference. I left work, walked fast to my car and called my mom to cry (I never do that by the way). I told her everything and just asked for prayer.

I have realized that sometime even in ministry I need a mental health day. During those times when I am tired, worn out, and frustrated it is best for me to take a day off and just rest. I let myself sleep in late and am going to watch a movie. I made chicken lasagna with lots of vegetables and salad for lunch and dinner later today. Now I just need to get my mind in the right frame to finish this weekend and keep on going in my ministry with my church.

No comments: