Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter Weekend as a Youth Leader



On Thursday I joined a group called Events and Adventures. It is a Singles group that goes to sporting events, dinners, camping trips, vacations, and many other things together. This is going to be a huge outlet for me since none of the churches in my area have a singles group or younger aged adults. Friday was my first events. First was a meet and greet with other new members, then a bunch of us headed out for Bowl 300. It was so much fun and amazing. This place has huge screen TV's on which we watched sports and music videos. It is also totally non-smoking!!! I am so going to take my youth there. The picture above is of me the people I hung out with.
So now for the church related things. I am realizing how much I really am missing being in the type of ministry positions I was able to have at Candler. The time cannot go by quick enough for me until I am a licensed local pastor at least.
Thursday was wonderful. Our service was beautiful and exciting (for me). This was the first time since I have been serving as Youth Leader that I have been allowed to even serve communion. Communion has always been a special celebration for me. I enjoy being able to serve others in the way that Christ last served his disciples.
Good Friday was a working day for me for the first time. I was not expected to be at service, but I had to be in the office and answer the phones. Thus I went out with the Events and Adventures group.
Saturday was interesting as the youth sell Easter Lilies as a mission trip fund raiser. Only three out of about 50 youth that are signed up to go showed up. This really bothers me, but I have been told that is more youth than have shown up in the past few years. As we waited we made Luminaries to put out for Sunrise Service. We had a good time getting everything ready.
Easter started for me today at 1:45 AM as I got up and headed off to the church for the prayer vigil that lasted from Friday night -Easter Sunrise Service. I spent much of my hour in prayer and thinking about how beautiful life is. I wondered if the smell of the lilies was anywhere close to the smell of the incense that Mary took with her to the grave. When I got home this annoying dog barked until 5:00AM and then I had to be up and moving to get ready for Sunrise Service. I knew I had to show up early since there was reports of thunder storms and we needed to decide if we were having the service at the creek or in the sanctuary. It ended up being in the sanctuary :(. I volunteered a few weeks ago to sing a solo at the Sunrise Service for Pastor Bonnie. I sang In The Garden/None Like You. Everyone was in total shock when I was singing. It was commented that I have a voice like an angel. This cracked me up a bit since I have been at this church for over three months and no one has really heard me sing before. At the same time I was sad. A solo in one service was the only part I had in any Easter Service. I don't help plan worship, and I miss it so much. Thus the reason why I cannot wait to be a licensed local pastor.

No comments: