Thursday, February 3, 2011

Money: to do what you love or what makes money?

For many year now I have struggled with a major question. Do I do the work I love or do the work that will make me money?

This started for me when I was in college and started looking into ministry. I know that minister don't make a lot of money in the UMC. I weighed the pros and cons of going into the ministry and it always came out that no matter what it paid I would be happier as a minister than doing something I did not love.

After leaving the ministry I started looking for jobs. I looked at first only for jobs I knew I would enjoy, but after a year of that not working I decided to go with what I could get. I started my work with ACS and learned to dread going into work everyday. I was helping people, which I love doing, but most of the time I would get yelled at or cussed out at least 1 time a day. In December my job at ACS ended. I was relieved and stressed at the same time.

Again I was faced with the question of finding a job that made money or trying to find something I would love. I have found something I love. Yes it is only part time. It is a little higher than minimum wage, but I make commission as well now. My goal with commission right now is to get it so that I am making $9.00 a hour, but I want to get up to $15 so that I can be making a little over what someone on minimum wage would make in a 40 hour week.

Now I am facing a question of trying to find another part time or full time position. I am getting paid money and can pay my bills, but how long can I get away with only making part time pay? I want to find something else I will enjoy. My family does not understand that because they want me to make money. To get out of debt, I have a lot of school loans to pay back. So now I ask the question again. Do I wait and find something I love or do I take a job that will bring in more money.

No comments: